A few nights ago I could NOT sleep. I was awake with the thoughts of making quilts for 3 girls at Madison's Children's Hospital. I don't know these girls but my impressions were deep and my mind was clear with thoughts of why and how. |
I drive by the Children's Hospital every day and think of the time Kate was in a Children's Hospital in Utah and how comforted the little fleece bumble bee blanket they gave her made her feel. I was picturing teenagers and how even without a sickness they are in need of so much love and comfort. I was picturing how cozy I was in bed with my Minki blanket keeping me warm.
I was remembering how cold hospitals are. I was remembering when I had a D&C after I lost another baby and how they put a warm blanket on me. I wanted somehow to give that comfort to these girls I haven't even met yet. Jess and Kate go to bed every night with the coziest of blankies and I somehow wanted to wrap up these girls too!
My mind was alive with measurements for these blankets and who was having sales on flannel and fleece, and how many scraps and what colors and pattens I have that I could use. After 2 1/2 hrs. My mind calmed and I was able to go back to bed.
We spent some time on the Hospital's website watching stories of some of the children there. After we watched I asked the girls if they would want to make cozy blankies for some sick girls in the hospital. They were really excited. Jess and I went to buy the fleece and white cotton for the tops on Monday. On Tuedsay we gathered up all the Polka-Dot scraps in my bins and choose which ones matched. Today Jess and I cut (she helped with like 3 cuts-she has way more fun playing with the scraps I throw on the floor to throw away).
Kate was my pinner tonight before bed. Jess was "Helping"to pin also. This quilt has huge polka dot fleece on the back and scraps of every matching polka-dot fabric I had on hand. I will sew right on top and make this one a scrap quilt. The other two quilts will be a bright multi-colored pinwheel scrap quilt and because I just ordered some fabric squares from a designer Camille Roskelly I really like, (I've been waiting months for it to come into production.) It is, can you guess? Aqua and Red, I'll use those for the last quilt. We bought a gorgeous red for the back.

What a great way to teach kids to love service; you're amazing :)
ReplyDeleteYou are so awesome and so inspiring! I agree with Natalia - your kids are learning such an important lesson. Good thing they have such an amazing mom :)
ReplyDelete