Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Suzy's Quilt is Finished!!!!!

"Quilting is a huge subject.  It exercises our making skills, but much more importantly it can be a large canvas for expressing the emotions of our lives."  -Kaffe Fassett

Suzanne is number 4 and I am number 11 of 12 kids.

I grew up babysitting for her and borrowing her stylish clothes
The Red Polka-dot and the Turquoise Gingham were Grandma Stonebrakers, I'm sure both Suzy and I had jammies or a doll or something made of these fabrics. 

 Now her children are grownups that I feel a special responsibility to. Almost like my own brothers and sisters.Now I'm the mom with small busy spicy kids.  I still try to borrow her stylish clothes, I will never tire of her hand me-downs.
 This Hydrangia pattern is some Shabby Chic fabric given to me from Suzy and my mutual friend who recently died of Cancer. She left 8 children, one who is a regular at my sister Suzy's house. I put it in the quilt as a remembrance of beauty that we both shared with our friend.
 Suzanne has dealt with her fair share of sickness and pain. She has a tens unit drilled to her spine to send electric shocks to her body trying to ease her of at least some of her pain. She goes in every couple months and they use these awful needles to try to deaden the pain. This procedure leaves her in bed with pain trying to alleviate the original pain. Pain to help relieve pain? It makes me want to cry. She has weathered a lot of storms. Yet her faith in Jesus Christ is unwavering.
 She  had a few major surgeries before she even had these back problems.
We love you Suzy!  I wish I could come sit on your cozy bed with you and watch the cute family movies Kraig made. I wish we could just laugh at your boys and their funny jokes. I wish we could go get pedicures with Bree and Neish. I wish I could get one of your hugs where you never let go first. This is all I can do, make something beautiful and warm and know you are wrapped  in my love.I cut out over 300 pieces and ironed like a 50's mama and  I thought of you the whole time, reminiscing about all the good times, singing Balinda Carlisle and driving your fancy cars, rocking your babies to sleep, knowing I would be there someday too.  When I finished the binding last night I was strengthed in my conviction that I KNOW no matter how many miles apart we are we can be together forever and at some point without the pains of mortality.  
 -Lisa

2 comments:

  1. Stop making me cry.Also, I love the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I love the quilt. I love the story. You are an amazing person Lisa!!

    ReplyDelete